Maybe We're All a Little Like Martha




Most Christians know the story. Martha is busy preparing everything while her sister Mary is sitting at Jesus' feet. Martha gets frustrated because she's doing all the work, and Jesus gently tells her she's worried and distracted by many things while Mary has chosen what is better.

I've always thought of that story as being about choosing Bible study over being busy, but this sermon went a little deeper.

It compared that Martha with the Martha we meet later in John 11 after her brother Lazarus dies.

The difference is striking.

The first Martha is anxious, overwhelmed, distracted, and frustrated.

The second Martha is grieving, but she's also full of faith. Instead of complaining, she runs to Jesus and says, "I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God."

That got me wondering...

What changed?

The pastor suggested that somewhere between those two stories, Martha spent time with Jesus. She learned to trust Him instead of trying to control everything herself.

Honestly, I think that's something most of us struggle with.

Life is busy. There are bills to pay, jobs to work, families to care for, appointments to keep, and about a thousand things competing for our attention every day. Before we know it, we're living in survival mode, always thinking about what's next instead of where we are.

I've been there.

Sometimes I'm so focused on the next task that I don't even enjoy the one I'm doing. I'm already mentally moving on before I've finished what's in front of me.

The sermon also talked about those two words we all say from time to time: "If only."

"If only I had made a different decision."

"If only that relationship had worked out."

"If only that diagnosis had been different."

"If only..."

It's easy to get stuck living in the past, wondering how life could have been different.

But Jesus doesn't leave Martha there.

Instead, He says, "I am the resurrection and the life."

That statement changes everything.

Jesus wasn't just talking about some future resurrection. He was reminding Martha that her hope wasn't found in changed circumstances—it was found in Him.

That's still true today.

One thing I especially appreciated was the reminder that we don't have to carry everything ourselves. We spend so much time trying to fix problems we can't actually control. We worry about outcomes, other people's choices, our future, and countless "what ifs."

The truth is, some burdens belong to us, and some belong to God.

One thought I'd add is this: trusting Jesus doesn't mean Christians will never struggle with anxiety or depression. The Bible is full of faithful people who wrestled with fear, grief, and discouragement. Following Christ doesn't mean life becomes easy. It means we never face it alone.

For me, the biggest takeaway was simple.

God cares more about my relationship with Him than my ability to stay busy.

Serving Him matters. Working hard matters. Taking care of our responsibilities matters.

But none of those things should replace spending time with Him.

Maybe that's the lesson Martha learned.

And maybe it's one we all need to learn again from time to time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remaining Faithful in a Fallen World

Living by Promise, Not by the Law

Faith Isn’t a Fantasy: What the Bible Actually Teaches