Finding Peace Through Forgiveness and Boundaries
As many of you know, I’ve had a very hard relationship with my older sibling for many years. She has shown a lot of narcissistic behavior, and honestly, dealing with it has been exhausting and painful. For a long time, I kept trying to fix everything. I tried to keep the peace, explain myself better, avoid arguments, and hold the relationship together no matter how unhealthy it became. I truly believed that if I just said the right things or handled things differently, things would eventually get better.
But they never really did.
Thankfully, through the support, advice, and Christian guidance of good friends at church, I slowly began learning how to handle the situation in a healthier and more biblical way. One of the biggest lessons I learned was that loving someone does not mean letting them manipulate you, control you, or constantly hurt you emotionally.
Ironically, once I started setting healthy boundaries and stopped allowing unhealthy behavior, the relationship changed very quickly. Eventually, she made it clear that she no longer wanted much to do with me. Personally, I believe that happened because I stopped allowing myself to be controlled the way I had been before.
Even with all of that, I’ve still left the door open if she ever wants to reconnect someday because, by God’s grace, I truly have forgiven her. I really mean that. I don’t hate her anymore, and I’m no longer carrying around the bitterness and anger I once had. Of course I still wish things could have been different, and maybe one day they will be, but I’ve also accepted that I cannot force someone to change or rebuild a relationship if they do not want to.
One thing this experience has taught me is that the Bible is very balanced when it comes to dealing with difficult people. Scripture does not tell us to become hateful or bitter, but it also does not tell us to become doormats who allow endless manipulation and emotional chaos in the name of “love.”
The first thing Scripture teaches is forgiveness. Jesus said, “Forgive, and you will be forgiven” (Luke 6:37). But forgiveness is often misunderstood. Forgiveness does not mean pretending nothing happened. It does not mean instantly trusting someone again, and it does not mean continuing to allow unhealthy behavior without boundaries.
For me, forgiveness meant letting go of bitterness and leaving judgment in God’s hands instead of letting anger take over my heart.
Another important lesson was learning healthy boundaries. Many Christians struggle with this because they think boundaries are selfish or unloving. But even Jesus sometimes walked away from hostile and manipulative people instead of arguing with them forever. Proverbs also warns us about staying too close to destructive people because their behavior can affect us too.
I’ve learned that boundaries are not hatred. Sometimes boundaries are wisdom.
I also learned how important it is to stay grounded in truth. Narcissistic people often twist situations, blame others, rewrite history, and make you feel guilty for things that are not your fault. If you are not careful, you can start doubting yourself and living in confusion. That is why staying rooted in Scripture, prayer, truth, and wise advice is so important.
There are also two things I’ve learned you should never do.
First, do not get trapped in endless arguments. Some people feed off conflict and emotional reactions. You can spend hours trying to explain yourself and still walk away feeling drained and misunderstood because the real issue was never communication — it was control.
Second, do not confuse forgiveness with trust. That was one of the hardest lessons for me personally. You can truly forgive someone while also recognizing that they may still be unhealthy, manipulative, or unwilling to change. Trust must be rebuilt through honesty, humility, repentance, and consistent actions over time.
But honestly, the biggest lesson — the thing that finally gave me peace — was realizing that I cannot change someone who refuses truth and accountability.
That realization changed everything for me.
So much emotional exhaustion comes from constantly trying to rescue, fix, convince, or heal someone who simply does not want to change. At some point, I had to stop carrying a burden God never asked me to carry.
Romans 12:18 says, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” I think many people overlook the words “if possible.” The Bible recognizes that peace is not always possible in every relationship.
Sometimes peace looks like forgiveness, boundaries, wisdom, distance, and trusting God with the outcome.
That is honestly where I’ve finally arrived in my life, and there is a peace and freedom in that which I did not have before.
Comments
Post a Comment